Wednesday, October 7, 2015

On the Wild side!

Hello! It is time for another painting. This time it is one that I designed myself. I worked for several evenings on it and I think it is pretty much done. The School that I work at has the Wildcat as a mascot and we are celebrating our 20th school year. There are about 5 people still working at the building that have been there since the first day. and I'm proud to say that I'm one of them!

So here's the sketch based on a photo that I found on the internet - I painted the background (Phalo Blue and Yellow Oxide and Diazonine Purple making a neat greeny, blue purple) let it dry and then drew the sketch with a white watercolor pencil.

 The painting was then done over several days. Blocking in then working the details in  with just a few colors(Cadmium Yellow Medium, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Yellow Oxide, Burnt Umber and Mars Black) and lots of mixing to get the shades and tones. I really am happy with how the eyes turned out. I'm still working on making fur look furry but as with everything it's a learning curve!


Thanks for looking and remember to get out and do something creative everyday!

I'd love to hear what you think and if you are interested in starting to paint in acrylics I really recommend Cinnamon Cooney - The Art Sherpa. Her art is accessible to all ages and she is such a positive person who really helps you see what  you are capable of.

3 comments:

Nicole Foshee said...

The coloring is spot on! Great job! And thanks for suggesting the art Sherpa. I'm loving her videos!

Dea Lenihan said...

Very nice art! . I'm popping in from Creative Every Day and just trying to get the hang of this blogging thing. ;)

Stephanie said...

Thanks for Stopping by! I appreciate the comments. Cinnamon is such a fun artist and a really good instructor and youtube creator!