Friday, September 19, 2008

In to the Deep

This is the cover of my new folded watercolor sketch journal. It will be interesting to see what it looks like after all the pages are filled and I open it out flat. I loved seeing some other artist's folded books after they were filled and photographed flat as a big collage of their art. I want to have the experience of seeing my own art done that way too. :)

So, I was watching a replay of the really cool show Blue Planet on the Science Channel. The episode that I watched was The Deep. It was amazing to think that so many creatures live so deep in the ocean that they never see sunlight.

I really liked the creatures of the twlight zone 1500' to 3000' big teeth and wonderful eyes!

This illustration was done as quick sketches that I then refined with pen and ink and colored with albrecht durer watercolor pencils.

It's a very colorbook illustration look but, I like it anyway. What do you think??

Hope your weekend is awesome! SB

10 comments:

Margaret Ann said...

Whoa!!!! This is AWESOME!!! Love it! :)

kazumiwannabe said...

Fascinating creatures! Love your drawing too, bizarre and beautiful!

MaryO said...

Great! Good composition and color balance, full of energy and LIFE!

Deborah said...

What a great start! Can't wait to see the whole thing.

Mark Kwasny said...

Do you have a whole book of them? What a great reality escape picture (well, for me at least... but I'm different like that).

Mark

Gillian Mowbray said...

You seem to work so fast - I'm in awe. A very creative piece and lively too.

Unknown said...

Stephanie I truly admire you, so I have nominated you for a reward. You'll have to check my blog:).

David said...

I really like this one. The light reflections in the eyes are great. Did you buy the folded watercolor sketchbook or did you make it. If you made it, can you tell me how.

Monette Satterfield said...

This is dramatic and stunning. Love the darks and the liveliness of the creatures. It would make a great greeting card. From reading ahead: Happy Anniversary!

Carol said...

Great cover - I'm obsessed with fish and I love these. I'm enjoying reading back through your blog and I'm going to subscribe so I can keep track of those great doodles you're doing now.