Thursday, August 21, 2008

Trying to be creative tonight and not sure about what happened...

I tried to do this really funky rock that my Husband and son collected at the Richardson Ranch in Central Oregon a few years ago. I

It has all these great colors and different minerals in it. This was done in Watercolor pencils on 140# WC paper. I'm not too happy with it as it got really dark and too orange. ( I actually think it looks more like a diseased body organ--ugh!) Okay I do like the shiny blue and white looking stone and a couple of the green ons and the texture on the bottom right side of the rock but...

I think I need to just stick with my pen and ink. I know I can get nice rocks that way and watercolor pencil for a touch of color. I am really not happy with my lack of ability to use just color to show something that is Hard and Solid. sigh...

I'm sharing it because I really would love to constructive comments on what I should try to do next time. Thanks!

Here are some rocks I'm much happier about! All the blue is just 1 prussian blue watercolor pencil with a couple touches of dark naples ochre.

This was a fast sketch less than 5 minutes start to finish. I needed to have something pretty to post because my other one from this evening I'm seriously thinking of deleting the first one! The reference for this came directly from the Watercolor Pencil Workshop CD by Kate Johnson. --This one is loose, rock like and I really like how the trees turned out. go figure!

Happy Thursday, SB

5 comments:

Kunstrxns said...

Hard to say without seeing a photo of the rock, but it does look more organic than rocky, hope someone with more experience helps.

Quilt knit said...

I agree Kunstrxns. May I say I felt, Walnut hull, decorated.
It is a beautiful piece. Rocks and minerals usually have a solid presence to them. Sturdy like the Earth.
It also, reminds me of Monkey bread, A whole made from parts stuck together loosely. I assume this is a solid rock with beautiful mineral deposits.

Not an easy draw. Would you share a photo?
Would like to see if I could make it feel the way I believe it to be- in my minds eye.

Now, You may go to my Flickr and rip my sketches and photos to pieces and leave the comments to go along. I am hiding in the dungeon of my apartment building.

((( circle of tough hugs on drawing)))

Sherrie Roberts

Anonymous said...

though i couldn't tell you how to do it, my thought is the rock looks "soft" - like the monkey bread in another post. and i know rocks can & do have rounded edges - not all are jagged edged. maybe a bit more shading of a darker sort? it's a good drawing, regardless ...

Monette Satterfield said...

The rock is tough to say about without seeing a photo, but the blue sketch is wonderful. It seems to really flow and I'm thinking some of that is because it was fast.

Maybe try sketching the rock quickly and see what happens?

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

This is really good! Love your rock! I haven't tried that one yet, something so simple can be difficult.