I have 2 loaves of Magic Fruitcake in the oven and the house smells amazing! I'll be posting photos as soon as it is cooled enough to slice into. This is a recipe that my Mom would make every Christmas and now I have made it almost every holiday season since I got married and had a family of my own. It's so easy!
It really does seem like magic when you mix it up and glop it into the pan then 90 minutes later these lovely loaves of cake all golden brown and glossy come out of the oven.
(posted here from the hand written card in my recipe box)
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (28 ounce) jar prepared mincemeat pie filling (homemade micemeat is wonderful too)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts (more is good too)
- 2 cups chopped dried mixed fruit (we like dried apricots, dried cherries, dried cranberries, raisins and currents) just end up with around 2 cups and you are good to go!
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) spray pans with no-stick spray
- Sift the flour with the baking soda.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, mincemeat, condensed milk, fruit, and nuts. Fold in dry ingredients. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until center springs back and top is golden brown. Cool. Turn cakes out onto wire rack.
creativity for all the senses!